Conservation Education Program Things to Remember
- Appropriate Clothing: The outdoors is an enjoyable place to learn if you and your students are adequately prepared. Proper dress is extremely important when outside at any time of the year. In order to maintain enthusiasm and stimulate learning, students should be dressed to suit the weather. Please wear seasonally appropriate clothing, closed-toed shoes (no sandals), long pants, long sleeves and layering clothes are recommended. Rubber boots and rain coats should be worn during wet periods. Rubber boots or older closed-toed shoes are recommended for river and fossil programs.
- Supplies to Bring: Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority (ABCA) staff are equipped with their own first-aid kit, emergency maps for each conservation area, whistle, and cell phone. Additionally, we recommend teachers bring a first aid kit, cell phone, hand sanitizer/wipes, medication for allergies or asthma, sun screen and insect repellent. Only Rock Glen Conservation Area has potable drinking water available. At other conservation areas, please ensure students bring plenty of drinking water and refillable water bottles. If your group is staying for lunch, please ensure that lunches are litterless.
- Adult Supervision: Adult to student ratios should be in accordance with school board policies.
- Nature Appreciation: We ask that you appreciate nature and leave it for others to enjoy. Collection of any living thing or non-living thing is prohibited on ABCA lands.
- Special Needs: If you have a student with special needs, please let us know in advance. We will do our best to accommodate their needs and make the trip enjoyable for everyone!